I know you are aware of what the consequences of texting and driving are. Accidents, death, jail time and pain placed on families. So if you know all these things, stop doing it! I admit, I had a problem with doing it and I have slowed down because it’s just not worth it. After seeing all of the texting and driving commercials, close-calls, and my loved ones telling me I need to stop, I just decided it really wasn’t worth it. Below are the statistics of texting and driving. Check it out and see how ridiculous texting and driving really is. Whatever you are texting can wait, it’s not worth losing your life and placing pain onto others and their families! Texting while driving is a growing trend, and a national epidemic, quickly becoming one of the country’s top killers. Drivers assume they can handle texting while driving and remain safe, but the numbers don’t lie.
Texting While Driving Causes:
1. 1,600,000 accidents per year – National Safety Council
2. 330,000 injuries per year – Harvard Center for Risk Analysis Study
3. 11 teen deaths EVERY DAY – Ins. Institute for Hwy Safety Fatality Facts
4. Nearly 25% of ALL car accidents
Texting While Driving Is:
1. About 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving intoxicated
2. The same as driving after 4 beers – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
3. The number one driving distraction reported by teen drivers
Texting While Driving:
1. Makes you 23X more likely to crash – National Hwy Transportation Safety Admin.
2. Is the same as driving blind for 5 seconds at a time – VA. Tech Transportation Institute
3. Takes place by 800,000 drivers at any given time across the country
4. Slows your brake reaction speed by 18% – HumanFactors & Ergonomics Society
5. Leads to a 400% increase with eyes off the road